Addressing the Root Causes of Poverty
In the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux, the Catholic Campaign for Human Development addresses the root
causes of poverty through the following efforts:
Education - To assist people in the parish to learn about, and have a greater understanding
of Catholic social teaching based on the teachings of Scripture and the social teachings of
the church over the past 100 years.
TARGET parishes - Make a special commitment to carry out this mission and teach their members
the goals of CCHD. They receive support through frequent contact and related materials.
Annual Collections - Each year a national collection is held in November in parishes throughout
the country. 75% of the collection funds projects throughout the country. The other 25% remains
in the diocese to support local CCHD efforts.
CCHD Grants - Catholic Campaign for Human Development provides funding for self-help programs
that encourage organized groups of low income people to work together to solve their common
problems through local and national grants. Local grants are available as a portion of the CCHD
collection in the diocese. Applications for these can be requested from Catholic Social Services
at 876-0490 and must be approved by committee. National funding can be requested for large
projects directed primarily by persons of low income that work to eliminate root causes of
poverty and enact institutional and social change. Applications may be requested from
Robert D. Gorman, Executive Director, at 876-0490.
Youth Grants - (up to $250) for projects based on Catholic social teaching or social justice
are available on a limited basis. Service projects must have a social justice component that
works on the causes of the situation being addressed.
Community Organizing or Economic Initiative Grants - (up to $500) are also available on
projects that address root causes of poverty, systemic injustice, or Catholic social teaching.
Diocesan Director: Robert D. Gorman